Thursday, September 11, 2014

Self-Reliance Tip of the Week - The Skinny on Pink Eye 9/11/2014


The most painful part of watching "The Three Stooges" is the eye poke. Just thinking about it makes my eyes water. I had to close my eyes when any of my roommates in college put in contacts because...my eyes are so sensitive to the thought of something in them. One time, I had an eye infection and my best friend had to literally sit on me to put eye drops in. Needless to say, she wasn't my best friend for about a week. :)

So, today we are going to discuss a very sensitive subject. I hear it is making its rounds in some of the schools. Conjunctivitis - it makes my eyes water just thinking about it. We know it more commonly as "Pink Eye". Did you know there is a way to take care of it in a natural way? Then you can stick your hand directly out from your nose and say, "Cool it Moe! These eyes are MINE!"

As a mom I have come across pink eye a time or two. When I learned of this simple remedy it has been my go-to treatment of choice because I can do it at home. Conjunctivitis is a bacterial infection. So, first we need to address the bacteria. I have had success with using colloidal silver, Oregon Grape Root tincture, and Golden Seal Root tincture. Silver you can take directly under the tongue several times a day  in teaspoon size quantities. The tincture extracts one or two squirts in some water spaced throughout the day. All of these should be taken for 5 to 7 days.

Now the real relief with a crazy little thing called "Eyebright". Oh I love this stuff! This can be found in a health food store in tea or tincture extract form. Take it orally. Do not put it directly on the eye. Within two days of beginning treatment, the redness, dryness, and itching will be all but gone. Ahhhh. Rolaids got nothin' on this baby. This herb was designed to strengthen the eye, so it has other "bright" uses for the eye.  Eyebright has also been used for sinus and allergy problems.

You can read more about it here: 


If you or one of your children continue to have reoccurring infections of conjunctivitis, consider also taking yarrow or yellow dock to strengthen the spleen. A weak spleen will allow reoccurring infections to take place because it is not making enough red blood cells to fight the infection in the first place. 

Oh, the future is so bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment