Thursday, February 5, 2015

Self-Reliance Tip of the Week - Go Ahead! Punch My Laundry!

The time has come the walrus said...

To make your own cooking bag (who said poems have to rhyme?)

You've dreamed of it, but you just didn't know how to make it! Today is your day bro...I mean sis... here is a very detailed video on how to make your own 

Thermal Cooking Bag!

You know you want it...so come and get it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebOnFRjzVdw

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX



It looks like a plunger, acts like a plunger...but is it a duck?

You know... this world is full of crazy people! Sometimes I'm one of them...sometimes I'm not. It really depends on which personality I choose to wake up with in the morning. Some mornings my kids call me "Volcano Woman". That's funny...I don't even own a volcano dress. But I digress. With all the crazy people in this world the ones that crack me up are the ones who insist you punch them in the stomach. I guess they have to prove how tough they are or something. Maybe they just want to prove something to someone.

There are days I get like that though. I get this crazy idea in my head when it comes to doing things without electricity. At the top of my list is the unhingedy-loony idea of doing LAUNDRY by hand. I've done a few batches here and there in 5 gallon buckets just to practice. But...I've never done it all by hand before!! So, go ahead...punch my laundry I dare ya!

One of the biggest things I've learned is that this 5 gallon bucket thing with 5 kids does not equal efficient. I had to think outside the box...or just outside. We have a 60 gallon water tub much like this one :


  • I filled it about 2/3 with water
  • plopped 3 Tide packets in the water and 
  • added the clothes (and let them soak for a few minutes)

 Some may be thinking, "What is the temperature of the water?" Honey, just cold water. I'm not adding "boiling water" to this to-do list today. I was able to do about 3 loads worth in one shot! That was worth it right there. Then I filled a 5 gallon bucket with rinse water. I had a laundry basket ready for my rinsed and squeezed clothing ready to hang. 

It took me about an hour. The dry time for the laundry would be a lot less if I had stronger squeezers in my arms. I'd like to purchase a hand- wringer like this one from Amazon. 




Here is what the first review says:

When hurricane Sandy hit the NJ area, our power went out for days. As I am writing this review, I still know many people whose power is still out (in 2012). We wand up having to wash our clothes by hand and having to hand wring them. It was an activity that was fun for our young kids and it gave us something constructive to do. When it came to the wringing out the clothes part, the kids fled. Wringing out the clothes was a job and a half and I still didn't do it properly as some towels took many days to dry on the clothes line. In addition, the residual detergent aggravated the skin on my hands. That is why I bought this wringer. When you think of "Made in America", you think of something that costs more but is made with real quality. This wringer exceeded my quality expectations. It is like a Sherman tank. Very solid. It looks and feels like it will still be working for many generations to come.

If you want to be prepared for a prolonged power outage and if you want to make sure you get a wringer that won't break when you need it, this is a great device to have handy. It is expensive but you won't be thinking about the money you spent if you need to use it. When I get backup devices, like this, I want great quality stuff that isn't going to break when I need it.

I have looked for a long time for a wringer that had good reviews that didn't cost a small fortune. This looks like a good one, but I haven't personally used it. 

So, there you have it! It is kind of funny how you can prepare for the future while looking back to the past. I might not be as gently deranged as I thought. If you see me outside plunging my laundry, just be glad I didn't ask you to punch me in the stomach. That would be TOTALLY crazy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment