Thursday, April 9, 2015

Self-Reliance Tip of the Week - What If... Car 72 Hour Kit


Sorry I missed you last week. I was playing hooky...or something like that. My family and I went out of town for General Conference and we had a blast...I almost need a vacation for my vacation though :). 

I have always been blessed with safety while on the road. This person wasn't as lucky as me. http://personalliberty.com/make-your-own-emergency-car-kit-and-72-hour-pack/

It is nice to have a sense of security when I drive (especially long trips) because I always keep a 72 hour (give or take...) kit in my car. There are many different ways of making one to fit your vehicle and your individual family needs. In mine I have a few stackable Zip Lock bins that look like this:


I carry two with me all the time that have these things in them:

(bottom one)
  • basic car tools
  • foldable shovel
  • rope 
  • bungee cords
  • jumper cables

(top one)

DO NOT recommend Sterno stoves. I tried to boil one cup of water once and in 15 minutes of "heating" it wasn't even warm. With an Emberlit (or the like) you can boil water in 3 minutes with sticks you find on the ground. 

If we are going to be gone for a few days, I'll stack one more on top with activities for the kids, more food etc. Oh, and I can't forget water. I always have two gallons of water (I keep them in used vinegar bottles because that plastic is stronger). 

If non-perishable food or medicine can last a year at room temperature, how long would it last in a hot car? A few months? It may prove to be a life saver. Talk to your doctor about the longevity of your medicines for this type of scenario. So, with the Arizona sun...what are some ways we can help keep the food good?

  • park in the shade whenever possible
  • use reflector shades for front and back windows
  • If it will be particularly hot, it might be a good idea to bring your kit inside and put it in your trunk when you are ready to leave

If a package of freeze dried food will last 15 years at room temperature, do you think you could get a good year out of one that sat in a car with higher temperatures for 4 months? It would be worth having in an emergency. Consider this article that explains the many downfalls of the "pre-made" vehicle 72 hour kit. What are they missing? http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/13/top-10-72-hour-kit-mistakes/

 It can be overwhelming to think, "If I keep all this stuff in my trunk all the time, if I want to go out of town, there won't be any more room in the trunk!" I've had the same thoughts. However, consider your own needs, say a little prayer and get to it. The Lord will guide you for your individual needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment