Friday, May 15, 2015

Self-Reliance Tip of the Week - Root of the Matter

Inline image 1
When I was only a few weeks away from being married, my Oma had finished my dress. It was everything I wanted. It was just under $100. Who does that? She was AMAZING! What was more amazing is she showed me a handful of scraps. "This was all that was left." She said. Unbelievable. Someday I hope to grow up to be like her because it seemed to be she could do ANYTHING. The only thing she couldn't do? Plant those scraps and make more fabric. I guess nobody can do that. But, I have a secret EVERYONE can do. 

When you cut the end off of the celery, what do you usually do with it? Until recently, I didn't think twice about tossing it in the trash. Then I learned you can plant it and it can re-grow celery. WHAAAT? Yep, its true. Different plants are going to do better in different climates. I tried to regrow a pineapple, but because it is the wrong climate, it didn't do anything; however, I have seen people do it. 

What kinds of plants can you regrow?

Remember, if you try some of these, they would have only been kitchen scraps anyway, so you don't have anything to loose. Here is a list of foods that have been regrown from kitchen scraps. 

  • lettuce
  • celery
  • mushrooms (kinda picky, but still doable)
  • pineapple
  • avacado
  • lemongrass
  • potatoes (from peelings that have eyes on them)
  • sweet potato
  • ginger
  • mushrooms
  • cilantro
  • basil
  • onion
  • turnips
  • seeds from tomatoes, peppers, pumpkins etc
  • And several fruit trees from their seeds (apple, cherry, and lemon, but lemon trees don't survive local winters)
Here is a link to more specific information on regrowing these little wonders: http://www.diyncrafts.com/4732/repurpose/25-foods-can-re-grow-kitchen-scraps

Awhile ago when I first started to experiment with the celery, I was so excited and planted it directly in my heavy clay dirt. Nothing happened. So, I figured it was just an ubran myth. When I started to plant my garden using the Mitleider Gardening System, and everything changed. 


Basically, when you use equal parts sand and pine shavings as the growing medium and then feed the plants once a week with the fertilizer recipe, amazing things begin to happen. If you follow the link just above this, it will take you to the recipe as well as videos from a Youtuber called LDSPrepper. He has a BUNCH of amazing videos that have been incredibly educational for me. 

Of the above list, I have successfully grown celery, lettuce, red potatoes, and garlic. I am excited to try more. Learning how to use things I would normally throw away is exciting and rewarding. 

Even though my Oma couldn't grow a new dress out of scraps like I can my kitchen scraps, she was still more than amazing. She did all kinds of things that most people wouldn't even dare try. At the age of 75 she wanted to learn something new, so she took up learning to spin wool. You're never too old to learn new things. The more you experiment, the more you will blossom - it keeps the mind young and sprouting like the root of the replanted celery fodder.

No comments:

Post a Comment