Thursday, June 5, 2014

Self-Reliance Tip of the Week - Perfect Beans and Fun with Fennel June 5, 2014

Who knew fennel could be so fun?
This morning I spent a while making the second video in our Self-Reliance Cooking Series. It is called : How to Make Perfect Beans in a Wonder Oven.

You can watch my skills here :) : http://youtu.be/gyL8r_pRwZ8

If you have any questions let me know!

($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)($)


What the heck is fennel? Why is it useful? Is it in your spice cabinet? 

My Oma (Grandmother Tenney) had a fennel bush outside her house for years. I always thought it smelled like licorice. Yumm!
Fennel has so many amazing uses! Here are only a few:

#1 When we have trouble digesting food we get gas build up (maybe from too many beans???). Enter fennel - possibly with a cape - fennel helps the body to produce more enzymes!!! Isn't that crazy? Enzymes help us to break down food easier. When we digest better, the whole body functions better.


#2 Fennel is a common ingredient in European cough remedies....hmmmm...why don't we see that here? Probably because they don't want people to assume because you have a cough you're gassy too? Who knows.

#3 I have personally used fennel to increase my milk supply when I wasn't making enough for one of my babies.

This website is one of my favorites for education on herbs and spices and the things they can be used for. 


Here is what they have to say about fennel. I have used fennel for digestive issues before with great success. Here are other uses fennel can help with. Fennel...it does a body good. Pass it...on.

No comments:

Post a Comment