Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Self-Reliance Tip of the Week - A Little Bit of Noah and Happy Day for Honey! February 13, 2014


Oh mylanta! This looks like such a good way to use freeze dried raspberries!!! IN A BROWNIE!! Check this out!!


+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

This was just emailed to me...I think it is COMPLETELY fitting!

Noah's Ark :
Everything I need to know, I learned from Noah's Ark.

ONE: Don't miss the boat.
TWO: Remember that we are all in the same boat! 
THREE: Plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark . 
FOURStay fit. When you're 60 years old, someone may ask you to do something really big. 
FIVE: Don't listen to critics; just get on with the job that needs to be done. 
SIX: Build your future on high ground. 
SEVEN: For safety's sake, travel in pairs.
EIGHT: Speed isn't always an advantage. The snails were on board with the cheetahs. 
NINE: When you're stressed, float awhile. 
TEN: Remember, the Ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic by professionals.
ELEVEN: No matter the storm, when you are with God, there's always a rainbow waiting.

So...I have a little secret to share with you...but don't tell ANYONE!!!

My secret is a little thing called raw honey. Yes, it is a sweet little secret...but it can do so much more than taste good! 

Did you know that raw honey can help heal cuts?

Once upon a time...my 5 year old REFUSED to keep his boots on when we were doing a family activity in the desert. I kept telling him to keep them on, but his feet were "soooOOOoooo tired" of the boots. So he chose not to listen. Sometimes it doesn't matter how good of a parent you are...some kids seem to ALWAYS have to learn the hard way. After he took off his boots, he screamed in pain. He had stepped on glass and had shredded his foot. I didn't stress...because I had a secret weapon. We quickly left for home. When we got there I gathered a few items:

1 paper towel (folded in quarters)
1 plastic grocery bag
1 Tablespoon of honey
1 Ace bandage
1 big sock

I did not wash the wound. I put the honey on the paper towel, and squished it on his heel. I took the plastic bag and wrapped it gently around his foot (like a bandage so we could see his little piggies). I wrapped the whole mess with the  Ace bandage. Lastly I covered it all with an over sized sock (from one of my older sons).  I did this twice a day for two days. In that time a grey matter started to form over his several cuts - but I didn't touch them because I knew it was brand spankin' new baby skin. After the two days, I let it air out for an hour or so before wrapping it one more time in the same manner. It was AMAZING! Some may wonder "Why a plastic bag?" - honey is sticky...it helps keep the laundry to a minimum :).

Did you know that honey can help heal burns?

One time my niece (about  age 2 1/2 at the time) put five little finger tips on the stove pipe at Grandpa's house. How did we know...we heard her...so I quickly went into action. It was time once again to gather a few items:

1 table spoon of raw honey
2 drops lavender essential oil
1 table spoon aloe vera gel (the real stuff...not the green goo found near sunblock)
1 paper towel (folded in quarters)
1 plastic grocery bag
1 kitchen towel (we didn't have an ace bandage)

I mixed the honey together with the lavender oil and aloe vera and gave it a good stir.  I put about 1/3 of the mixture on the paper towel (it was kind of runny - but it was liquid gold!). Then I wrapped her hand in the plastic bag, followed by the kitchen towel. Within a few minutes she stopped crying. We kept it wrapped for a few hours. Then I saw her in the bathroom with the towel off and licking her fingers, "Its all better now...it tastes good." In not too long, she was crying again. So we re-wrapped it and tried to keep a closer eye on her :). The next morning, when we took the wrap off, her blisters were thicker...almost like skin had grown underneath. They didn't hurt anymore, but we still kept it wrapped to prevent her from breaking her blisters (to prevent any kind of infection). After a week or so, you wouldn't have even known she had been burned. They didn't scar.

These two tricks I learned from a friend. Before these things happened, I experimented and found it to work AMAZINGLY well. I would definitely be using honey again in case these situations presented themselves again. That is how I knew what to do. Heavenly Father is good to us. Do you suppose these may have been some of the reasons that the Brother of Jared took honey with them across the ocean?

Earlier I said "Don't tell ANYONE!" I meant...tell EVERYONE :).

No comments:

Post a Comment