Thursday, February 6, 2014

Self Reliance Tip of the Week - Why Not to Thumb Twiddle...and Shirt Skirts? Feb 6, 2014


How would Captain Moroni feel if his life had been threatened? Would he sit on the couch and say, "Well, gosh...I guess I'll just twiddle my thumbs because...it is too dangerous..." ? Highly unlikely. How do we know? Alma Chapter 43.

Lemme' set the stage a little. Moroni is the newly appointed chief captain of the Nephite Army strapping 25 year old fella (I think I had a crush on him in Seminary... :) ). They were at war with the Lamanites (yes...again). Their lives were at stake, their freedom was at stake, and it was his responsibility to prepare his men for battle so they could protect their families. 

"And when the armies of the Lamanites saw that the people of Nephi, or that Moroni, had prepared his people with breastplates and with armshields, yea, and also shields to defend their heads, and also they were dressed with thick clothing --

"Now, the army of Zerehemnah was not prepared with any such thing; they had only their swords, and their ciimeters, their bows and their arrows,their stones and their slings; and they were naked, save it were a skin which was girded about their loins..."

So the battle begins...

"And the work of death commenced on both sides, but it was more dreadful on the part of the Lamanites, for their nakedness was exposed to the heavy blows of the Nephites with their swords and their cimeters, which brought death almost at every stroke."

Why would I bring this up? 

I recently received an email from a friend. She explained that where she lives there have been sisters just as "enthusiastic" as I am about self-reliance. These sisters were giving classes and explaining to some members not of our faith the importance of learning how to survive in emergencies. The husbands said, "Why would I store food when I can just take yours? I would kill you if I had to feed my family."

"So our Sisters who were once just as enthusiastic as yourself have become more aware and quiet about who they tell." My friend told me.

Well gosh...I guess I should just sit on the couch and twiddle my thumbs huh...

I know she meant well, and we should be aware without being afraid. 

Sometimes circumstances like hunger, shelter, thirst, and illness can change ethics/ values. These may be/ have been good men. 
"If ye are prepared, ye shall NOT fear." Fear is one of the adversary's tools. He wants to use fear to deter us from our goals, to lose sight of the path and let go of the iron rod.

I am reminded of many of our ancestors who were pioneers. The Handcart Song says, "When pioneers moved to the west with courage strong they met the test..." 

Their lives were filled with uncertainty..."What will we do once we get to the desert?" Their lives were also filled with faith..."The Lord will direct us." What wonderful examples! 

I forgot to mention one powerful tool Moroni had that their enemies did not... Alma (the spiritual leader). Moroni would ask Alma to pray to find out where their enemies would be (sorry folks, you can't find any GPS that can tell you WHERE someone is going to be... :) ). The Nephites were also CONSTANTLY reminded to repent and keep themselves in check. There is no armor in the world that can protect you if you are not on the Lord's side of the battle. 

When we obey, we are blessed...period. :)

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Another thought...

We all know that learning anything new can be frustrating. When it comes to sewing that can certainly be true. We have been counseled by church leaders for decades to learn sewing among other home crafts. When times are tight and you can turn an old t-shirt into a skirt

or make something from scratch, you can have that under your belt. Not only will it bless your family, but you can serve others as well. 

Here are a few places online to get fabric. If sewing isn't your thing, and you feel like "you can't teach an old dog new tricks", store fabric anyway. It will be a good trading item. 


Don't forget about wool!!! 

Wool and wool blends

No comments:

Post a Comment