Friday, November 1, 2013

Self Reliance Tip of the Week - Oct 24, 2013 - Salt! Glorious Salt!

Salt is a seasoning that has lasted through the ages! It is so amazing that it is even in the scriptures! In Luke 14:34 it says:

Salt is good: but if the bsalt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned?

I don't think I've ever had salt that has lost its savour. That is a sad day. So is the day that we forget how important it is to store salt! Our bodies need it! 

I am only slightly obsessed with Colonial America era. I love the clothing, the architecture, the Founding Fathers...I love it all! It shouldn't be surprising that we can learn so many preparedness lessons from this day in time too. They had no cars, no electricity, NO iPHONES??? But they survived! I have found a website that has many things from this time period that I periodically drool over when I have a spare minute or two. They have also been making cooking videos. Here is a video on how to preserve pork with salt (remember, they had no refrigerators) for several winter months.


If you feel so inclined to check out their website, here is also a link, but beware - there are some amazing things on this website you might become as slightly obsessed as I :). Tell me honestly... wouldn't you just LOVE if this stuff came back in style?

No comments:

Post a Comment